You know I love a great crowd-sourced blog post. So, this one is packed full of tips and hacks for sensitive, introverted moms who are gearing up for the back-to-school season from some of my favorite introvert mom friends. Perhaps you’ve been traveling a ton this summer. Going to amusement or theme parks. Getting some oh-so-necessary self-care time. Spending time with friends or jumping back into the dating pool after divorce. Or, maybe you even moved to a new house this year! This summer has been a lot. Super hot. Super hectic. And, really overwhelming for even the most radical sensitive introverts.
Summer is a lot, but back-to-school season can feel impossible.
How are you supposed to prepare appropriately without totally burning yourself out after a summer with kiddos or away from your usual schedule? If you are located in the United States, you are probably starting to think about this already. Though, let’s be honest…even if you are in the United Kingdom, Canada, Australia, or elsewhere, the idea of kiddos getting back into their established routine is probably feeling pretty attractive right about now. Am I right? That’s not to say you don’t love and adore the time you’ve had with your kids. I know, we can hold both to be true. So, as usual, I’m going to give you some tips that don’t allow you to reject your introversion but to radically accept and adjust the expectations you (and those around you) have for life in this world of chaos.
10 Back-to-School Hacks for Highly Sensitive, Introverted Moms
- Get the school list as soon as possible. It might already be available on the school’s website or by calling the office or district.
- Since crowds can be overwhelming, try school supplies shopping during the week or as soon as stores open. Especially if you are shopping sales.
- Shop early! Don’t wait until the tax-free weekend to do your school supply shopping if you want to avoid the crowds.
- If you don’t like shopping in person, shop for supplies online! No people, and more variety!
- For clothes, like supplies, shop during the week if possible to avoid crowds. Or if this isn’t possible, quickly let your kiddo try on clothes they like then order the rest like them online!
- Have your kiddo be in charge of some things. Like making lunch (sandwiches or leftovers. We don’t want a house fire!) the night before, and preparing their outfits the night before school. This helps them with autonomy in addition to reducing your personal overwhelm.
- Write down and make a routine with your kiddo. So both of you know what school mornings will look like.
- If there will be others picking up and dropping off, having a visual schedule of that will also keep everyone on track.
- You could even consider a “dry run” for you and your kiddo(s) before the first day. Practice getting up and ready for school, pretend to get everyone where they need to go, and then have a celebratory 2nd breakfast because you’re all so prepared! This can be especially helpful if you have an HSP kiddo, first-time schooler, and/or children at multiple locations this Fall.
- If you plan on enrolling your kid in after-school activities, try to do that as soon as possible. Such as Adventure Club, After School Tutoring, or other activities that aren’t always through the school. So that spots are not filled and you will be able to encompass that into your routine.
Extra, Hot Tip: Give your future self a gift! Buy extra school supplies for those inevitable losses, or to get a jump start on next year! I know someone who bought everything she knew she would need for both kids during last year’s post-first-day sales so she only has to fill in any gaps next year. How smart!
CURIOUS ABOUT ONLINE, RADICAL INTROVERT COACHING IN THE UNITED STATES, UNITED KINGDOM, CANADA, AND BEYOND? LET’S TALK!
It’s my hope that these tips are helpful and serve you well throughout this busy back-to-school season. What other tips and tricks do you have? Please share them in the comments, or reach out to talk with me more about this privately! As an HSP and introvert coach, I would love to help you figure out individualized strategies to more fully live life as a radical introvert. Let’s connect! You can learn more about my radical introvert coaching program with this free, Radical Introvert Audio Training “How to Find Peace in This Fast-Paced World”. When you’re ready to take action, I make it simple to book a free, 30-minute consultation call with me. I can’t wait to hear from you!